Sunday, June 16, 2013

Linux Series - Arch Linux

Since my last post <distro hopper?>, I rarely boot OS other than Win 7.

Yesterday, out of no where I felt like wanted to try Arch Linux. I'm sure I was reading somewhere on Arch Linux but couldn't found the memory which probably embedded deep enough in my brain.

Anyway, I spent my whole Friday doing the installation stuff.

I was wondering what is Arch Linux all about. Without much thinking, I started to download the ISO image and walllaaahh!!.... Virtual box installation.... USB live... and so on....

Basically, what I've learnt within about 36 hours is that..... Arch Linux is really cool....

If you want to control everything (~you could say everything) you want to put into your customized OS... then, Arch Linux might be the one suit you best...

I like ubuntu very much.... ever since version 7.04 if I'm not mistaken.... up until now.... So, I could say that I quite comfortable with debian base linux.. It just that... I want something new.... something that could give me the WoW!! thing like the first time I use ubuntu.... You know.... command line... terminal.... sudo stuff....

Well, I have successfully installed basic Arch Linux with Xfce4 Desktop Environment.... not really complete though.... Then I thought.... I don't have time for this... I mean.... stuff is really cool but you have to spend considerable time to learn something new..... pacman... yaourt.... packer.... systemd...

[pacman is very nice and I think I like it better than any other distro package manager that I have used so far.... ]

Then.... I googled the linux distribution ... finding the Arch Linux based distro... I still love and willing to learn more on Arch Linux.... I stumble upon Chakra and Manjaro..... Watched Chakra review on youtube... Manjaro as well....

It seems that Chakra does not suit me well... because the path they have taken that deviate away from the original Arch Linux motto....

Well.... now I have Arch Linux 64 and Manjaro 64 on my Virtual Box.... Frankly speaking... I like Manjaro... love it at first use.... Manjaro with Xfce4.... simple... fast.. clean... and geeky!! yeah...

XP, OS X, Mint, Arch Linux, Manjaro in action
[Manjaro] Updating with simple command:- sudo pacman -Su

How do I describe Arch Linux (~and its derivatives distro) in simple word....


Awesome



No comments: